6.28.2007

Bad Headline:

"China officials live without air-cons for a day"

http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSPEK15661420070613?feedType=RSS

I didn't like this headline because of the "air-cons". This article talks about how the Chinese government cut off air conditioning for some government employees to save a little bit of energy. When I first saw the headline, for some reason, I thought of that Nicolas Cage movie, "Con Air". I honestly thought the article was about some Chinese military exercise. To me, the headling is a little misleading. Instead of using air-cons, I think that just using "AC" would have been acceptable or maybe even "cool air".

Good Headline:

"Will iPhone rock music industry?"

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/06/27/iphone.mobile.music.ap/index.html

This headline is simple, catchy and a pretty good example of using the SVO structure for a headline but this one is in the form of a question. I like how they used "rock" to ambiguously imply that people who buy the iPhone will bolster the iTunes industry but that the music industry as a whole will suffer because Apple doesn't allow customers to download music directly to the phones.

No comments: